Wood Floor Maintenance | Preventive Maintenance | Post Application Tips |
What to Expect During the Curing Process
Wood Floor Maintenance
Simple steps can be taken to maintain the beauty and luster of your new Glitsa finished floors.
Use Glitsa's untreated mop with Dust Pad on your floor regularly. This will keep the sand and grit off of your floor that may cause premature wear. Throw rugs that are cleaned on a regular basis are recommended in front of your kitchen sink and at each outside door.
Wipe up food and other spills immediately using a dampened (not soaking wet) Cleaning Pad on the Glitsa Mop or paper towel. Regular cleaning should be done with Glitsa Clean which is specially formulated to clean your Glitsa finished floor. Follow directions on the bottle for correct application. Glitsa Clean is available through your flooring contractor.
Glitsa finished floors should never be waxed. Do not use oils or waxes, or cleaners that have these properties, on your Glitsa finish. If wax or other treatments are applied, recoating may not be possible.
As your floor begins to show wear and does not clean easily with Glitsa Clean, recoating is recommended. Glitsa Aerosol is available for minor repairs or touch up for the Gold Seal System. Contact your hardwood flooring professional when recoating becomes necessary.
Know your Floor
Know what products were used to finish and clean your wood floor. Keep track of the dates (month/year) that the floor was installed, finished, refinished and/or repaired. Remember the company name of your floor installer and finisher. When moving, leave the above information in the home for the next homeowner.
Preventive Maintenance may be the most important factor in determining the longevity of your wood floor finish.
- Place walk off mats in entry ways and near sink areas to minimize the amount of dirt and water that comes in contact with your floor.
- Check your chair legs and other pieces of furniture and attach Safeglides Felt Floor Protectors to all furniture that will come in contact with your wood floor.
- Keep high heel shoes in good repair. Heels that have lost their protective cap can cause little indentations in any floor surface, even concrete!
- Keep pet claws trimmed.
- Do not over-water plants. Soil, fertilizers, and plant foods may have chemicals in them that could damage your Glitsa finish.
- Soft rubber (shoe soles, toy wheels, etc.) will leave marks on the floor. Most of these marks can be rubbed out, but should be avoided if possible.
Post Application Tips
A minimum of 24 hours is recommended before returning to the residence. Providing good ventilation will minimize the odor and help the floor finish cure faster. You can generally walk on the floor after 24 hours. However, you should use your floors with care for the first two weeks after application. The more gentle you are on the floor during this time, the more satisfaction you will get from your floors for years to come.
Allow two to three days before placing furniture on the floor. Do not drag or slide the furniture into place. Install Safeglides Felt Floor Protectors on furniture legs before replacing furniture.
Allow two to three weeks before putting carpets or rugs on the floor. If covered prematurely, finishes may discolor.
Do not use water or any cleaning substances on the floor for the first two to three weeks.